The inaugural recipe in our Barmaid's Helper Series is a spectacular Blood Orange Whiskey Cocktail. Originally created and posted on Holly & Flora.
Blood Orange Whiskey Cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounces whiskey or bourbon
- 1/2 ounce Amaro Nonino Quintessentia
- 2 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed blood orange juice (about two blood oranges)
- 1/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice (about a quarter of a lemon)
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar
- 2-3 dashes orange bitters
- Sprig of thyme
- Juice the citrus and set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the whiskey, amaro, blood orange juice, lemon juice, agave nectar, and bitters.
- Shake until nicely chilled. Strain and pour into a cocktail glass filled with fresh ice.
- Finally, squeeze the thyme sprig a few times to release its aroma and garnish!
- This recipe can be easily doubled, and tastes great served up shaken and strained.
- If you have trouble finding blood oranges, navels or other types can be substituted.
- Depending upon the sweetness of the blood oranges, increase or decrease the amount of agave nectar, to taste.